What is Software Asset Management (SAM)?
Software Asset Management (SAM) is the process of tracking, managing, and optimising the software assets used by an organisation. This includes software licences, software usage, and software costs.
The Benefits of Implementing Software Asset Management
SAM can be a complex and challenging task, but it is essential for organisations of all sizes. SAM can maximise the value of a business’s software investments. By implementing a sound SAM program, organisations can realise a number of benefits, including:
- Cost savings: SAM can help organisations identify and eliminate software overspending. This can be done by auditing software licences, identifying unused licences, and negotiating better terms with software vendors.
- Risk mitigation: SAM can help organisations reduce their risk of software-related compliance violations and security breaches. By tracking software usage and ensuring that all software is properly licensed, organisations can protect themselves from legal and financial penalties.
- Improved IT decision-making: SAM can provide organisations with the data they need to make informed decisions about software purchases, upgrades, and decommissioning. This can help organisations optimise their IT investments and get the most out of their software assets.
- Increased productivity: SAM can help organisations improve the productivity of their employees by ensuring that they have access to the software they need, when they need it. This can be done by automating software licence management and providing employees with self-service tools for software provisioning and deprovisioning.
- Enhanced compliance: SAM can help organisations comply with a variety of regulations, such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). By tracking software usage and ensuring that all software is properly licensed, organisations can reduce their risk of regulatory violations.
- Remove software vulnerabilities: SAM can help organisations improve their security posture by identifying and remediating software vulnerabilities.
- Easily introduce new software: SAM can help organisations increase their agility by making it easier to deploy and manage new software.
Overall, SAM is a valuable tool that can help organisations improve their IT operations, reduce their risks, and save money.
Harrison Software Asset Management Program
Harrison is a leading Software Asset Management (SAM) consulting firm that helps organisations of all sizes improve their IT operations, reduce their risks, and save money. We offer a comprehensive range of SAM services, including:
- SAM assessments: We can help you assess your current state of SAM and identify areas where you can improve. This includes identifying all of the software assets that your organisation uses, as well as the associated licences and costs.
- SAM implementation: We can help you implement a SAM program that meets your specific needs. This may involve implementing a SAM tool, training your staff, and conducting audits.
- SAM training: We can train your staff on how to manage your software assets effectively. This includes understanding the different types of software licences, how to track software usage, and how to resolve software compliance issues.
- SAM support: We can provide ongoing support to help you maintain and improve your SAM program. This includes providing you with access to our SAM experts, helping you troubleshoot problems, and providing you with updates on the latest SAM trends.
Our SAM experts have a deep understanding of the challenges that organisations face in managing their software assets. In addition to the services listed above, Harrison also offers a number of other SAM services, such as:
- Software licence optimisation: We can help you optimise your software licences to ensure that you are only paying for the licences that you need.
- Software asset disposal: We can help you dispose of your software assets in a secure and compliant manner.
- Software asset tracking: We can help you track your software assets throughout their lifecycle, from purchase to disposal.
- Software asset reporting: We can provide you with reports on your software assets to help you make informed decisions about your SAM program.
By implementing a sound software asset management (SAM) program, organisations can reap a variety of rewards, including cost savings, risk mitigation, improved IT decision-making, increased productivity, enhanced compliance, and improved security posture.
If you are looking for a SAM partner, Contact Harrison today to discuss your needs and find out how we can help you achieve your goals.